Wednesday, October 22, 2008




With election time drawing near, I have been glued to the debates and the candidates trying to decide which one will benefit our future and our children's future the best. I have come to a realization this past year, before I am a Democrat or a Republican, I am a mom, and when I exercise my right to vote I am not doing it for me but for my kids and their future.
As a mom some of the issues that concern me are:
Health Care, the USA spends 60% on health care and their are over 10 million children uninsured. In Europe they spend on average 11% on health care and EVERYONE has health insurance. So it is not a matter of spending more, but spending better.
The Economy... Need I say more...
Home land security
Education: Don't you wonder why our teachers who play such a vital role in our kids futures don't get paid more?? I worry about more funding, not losing more electives, and my kids having the best possible chance at a fantastic education.
&
The Environment, what good will it do to change the world if their are no resources left for our kids and grand kids??
This is just to name a few.

I am thankful for the 19th: amendment to the Constitution which gave women the right to vote in 1920
Did you know that only 60% of women voted in the 2004 election??



Last night Jonathan figured out how much money we would save under each of the candidate's tax plans. The following numbers pertain to our family of 6 and our income, but you can get a general idea.

Under McCain's Plan $956.00

Under Obama's Plan $2463.00

SO why did I get on my soap box for a few, I just wanted to remind everyone what an important election this is and to exercise their right to vote. So I hope you will get the facts, and get out there on November 4th and VOTE.

7 comments:

Dani said...

YES!! You go girl! I still have some studying I need to do but I am excited to vote!

rachel said...

I'll be voting, my dear, I'll be voting!
I love your polls... I may have to add one to my blog, too, just for the fun of it.
Love you.

Renee said...

I am voting next Monday. We get to start to vote early next Monday. I am sure the lines will be long, but not as long as on election day.

Margaret said...

I have 3/4 of my ballot completed. IT's all the little tricky measure that I am wading through now.

Anonymous said...

Which European country has the heath care system that you admire?

The average teacher salary in Oregon for the 2004-2005 school year was $48,320. With about 170 working days in a year that is $284 a day. That doesn't seem so terrible.

And don't forget to add insurance and pension $s to that salary.

I admit that this doesn't sound like much money for someone with a masters degree. But, since they have a degree, teachers are plenty qualified to go find a higher paying job, right?

Dani said...

Is Max a teacher? Just curious. I think teachers deserve every penny they get! With a Master's degree it takes about 9 years to work up to that $48,000/year salary. Teachers put in many extra hours that they don't get paid for and they spend a lot of their own money on classroom materials and their students. Teaching can be a very draining profession in many ways. Imagine trying to keep 25 or more different personalities focused on school work while dealing with all their little quirks (ADHD, learning disabilities, talented and gifted, general disrespect towards adults, etc). Kids today are facing so many more challenges than we did as children. All those problems take their toll and often manifest themselves as behavioral or emotional issues in the classroom, adding even more to the full load the teacher already has! Teachers today need to take on many different roles as they manage their complicated and diverse student body and try to fit in all the required curriculum. By the time summer comes, they NEED that break to get their sanity back! I think it would be great if classroom sizes were smaller and teachers had more help within their classrooms! I wish our society valued teachers, schools and education a little more! I think its crazy we pay our professional athletes as much as we do! Well, I'll get off my soap box now! Max made a good point but I just had to add my 2 cents worth! I'm a teacher, though not currently teaching full time, I've been there! It's tough!

Julee and Matt said...

I think you like to stir up the pot with this post! :) It's a great reminder to get out and vote...so many people don't. Love you friend!