Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Guatemala in a Nut Shell

For those who did not know we went to Guatemala to pick up my baby brother Ian from his mission. We took everyone including Miss E and Miss T. After 18 days of traveling we were very happy to return home safe and sound. We had such a wonderful trip. We saw some incredible things. We were able to attend church both Sunday's while there, the first Sunday we attended a branch that Ian had served in over a year ago. It was incredible to see the love that this branch family had for my brother. They did not know that we were coming and by chance one of Ian's baptisms spoke. We met so many wonderful people while there and will cherish this once in a life time opportunity to bring home Ian with all of our hearts. Here is a run down of our trip.
We packed up and headed to the train station. We went up north to a local airport where we waited for the red eye.
Some people were able to sleep.

(sorry mom I couldn't resist)


Others weren't

After a long night of travel we were happy to have this handsome fella meet us at the airport. Can you tell his 2 biggest fans missed him?? Wow after 2 years done with his mission.


The little man made up for lost sleep over lunch. This big beauty was our transportation while we were there. Dad was outstanding at driving in a country where no one obeys the laws of the road and the roads are in horrible shape.
The next day we arrived in Coban and stayed at this beautiful hotel.

Then drove to Semuc Champey. This is one of the most spectacular places I have ever been it was beautiful. Just breath taking. We went swimming there. P-man went down a couple of rock slides.
We met Latin Leigh, he forgot his trunks and picked up these beauties while we were there, they were really tight, it was really funny.

The next day we drove to a remote Maya village and stayed in thatch roofed huts.


We toured the caves they have there. Leigh, Ally, Jonathan, P-man, Busy and I floated on inner tubes through one of the caves, it was a great experience. A bit nerve racking considering that you are in the pitch black with only your flash light for light. Aunt Ally was scared so P-man held her hand and told her she would be okay.

These were a couple of the bed bugs I wanted to sleep with.

Under our mosquito netting.

This fella was trying to get in my bed along with many others, luckily the netting kept them out and I hope he was the biggest. He was really big. What can I say they could not resist my beauty and blood : ) How often do you see one of these in the states??
Jaguar Crossing
we then went to Tikal to see the Maya temples. Amazing can not even describe it. A must for everyone, really go there.
Temple 1 Temple 4

At the top of Temple 4

We saw Spider Monkeys (as pictured below) Tucans, and Black Howler Monkeys.
Miss TTemple 5Next we went to FloresWhere we celebrated Jonathan's birthday. I found a 5 ft. Mario pinata and we had a fiesta. The kids and Jonathan loved the pinata.
We attended a branch that Ian had served in.
On our way to the next destination we came across a protest. The teachers have not been paid since February and decided to close down the main highway.


By blocking it with logs and branches.
Just our luck, we had a couple of scary moments and were not sure if we should turn around and go back to Flores or wait it out. We prayed about it and decided to wait. So after waiting in a hot van for 3 hours they moved the road block.

Our next destination was a Quetzal reserve. Dad was told that there was a very slim chance of seeing a quetzal but we were hopeful. I met Clyde who was on vacation from Georgia, he to is a twin so we bonded. Early the next morning he took us up the road to a women's restaurant where the quetzals come and feed in her trees. These are really amazing birds it was well worth the 5:30 am trek.

Then on to Antigua where.... Some of the group including P-man climbed an active volcano. I stayed back with Miss T, Miss E, Busy and Nana.





After a night in a typical Latin American hotel we moved to a beautiful hotel on Lake Antitlan. It was so beautiful surrounded by volcano's.
We had such a fantastic time and again saw lots of incredible things. We are so thankful to dad for all of his detailed planning.

18 comments:

Tia Hopper said...

Awesome!!!!!! I'm so jealous! That's such a LONG trip to take with so many little ones! Wow, you're brave! Atleast you had some family to help though!

Shannon said...

What an incredible experience. What a beautiful place. I am glad that you had a great time and made it home safe. Thank you for sharing about your adventure

Dani said...

Wow!! I loved seeing and reading all about your adventure! What great memories for your family!

Derrick and Melissa said...

That looks so fun! What an amazing experience!

Margaret said...

I can just hear the wheels turning already. Once Greg sees these pictures, he will want to go.

It does look amazing except for the freakish spider. I think spiders have a conspiracy going that makes cameras make them seem smaller than they are. It's mean really. I can tell that one was huge.

Thanks for sharing them!

Tim and Lisa said...

I don't ever remember seeing swimming pools in mexico city but I guess I wasn't looking as a missionary. I loved going to see ruins outside mexico city, totally understand.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks likes quite the adventure, something you and your kiddos will never forget.
Amber

Unknown said...

What?! Wow- an active volcano?! I'm SO, SO impressed that you guys took this trip, what a wonderful lifetime of memories...so COOL!

Teresa said...

Wow, what an amazing trip! What an amazing family! I really admire your father for how supportive he is of his wife and children with their membership in the Church. I love how close you all seem to be. Such a blessing!

Teresa said...

Wow, what an amazing trip! What an amazing family! I really admire your father for how supportive he is of his wife and children with their membership in the Church. I love how close you all seem to be. Such a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Wow! HOw fun. I love the pictures.

Stephanie said...

You are a brave woman!!! International travel with four kiddos... great pics. Truly a great adventure!

Jeralee said...

Those are spectacular pictures! And now I have a visual frame of reference for the teacher protesting story you told me. LOL.
I still can't believe you took all the kids. You brave, brave woman. It looks like it was a wonderful trip that you will always remember!

Radke said...

Absolutely Beautiful! What an amazing experiene to enjoy as a family. I am sure you all will remember this trip your whole life. I bet Ian was so happy to see all of you too! Glad you all made it back safely. Can't wait to see Ian and hear about his mission. Love to you all.

Emy said...

Amazing! You guys did it! Only you, my dear. Thanks for sharing all the photos. It was great to see Ian today. Your dad showed you so many wonderful places! I have to admit the Latin Leigh pic is my favorite. Ha ha ha.

The Cottle Family said...

That looks like a once in a life time moment. I am so glade that you were able to go. April

aunt choody said...

Crazy fun!

Anonymous said...

A-MAZ-ING. The trip, your excellent travel buddies, your family time together, and mostly YOU. I'm impressed. But when I saw pictures of Ian gathered with his family again, it was easy to see why all the work was totally worth it! SO incredibly happy for you all. Welcome home, Ian!